(Tetum) Seeds of Life has prepared information sheets for 240 sucos (villages) across seven districts for free use by others.
These agriculture-related sheets contain suco-specific information, graphs and maps depicting rainfall data, topography, climate predictions, soil pH and hydrogeology.
Access information sheets from Google Drive now (no login required)
They are currently available for sucos in Aileu, Bobonaro, Cova Lima, Ermera, Lautem, Liquica and Manufahi districts. Information sheets for the remaining six districts will be completed by the end of the year.
These sheets are produced in Tetum and are written in relatively simple language to be understood by the government, NGO frontline workers and trainers as well as the more advanced farmers and Timorese university students.
Much of the data has never been released before in accessible public format, especially at suco level.
You are welcome to download as many of these suco information sheets as you like and print them free-of-charge.
Each information sheet contains the following features:
- Population and commodity statistics from the 2010 Census data
- General map of the suco including distribution of population as households (uma)
- Aerial photo of the suco with roads and boundaries
- An Agro-ecological zone map combined with watershed boundaries
- Graph of monthly rainfall and temperature based on Worldclim modelled data
- AEZ based information on the impact of El Nino and La Nina on monthly rainfall
- Hydro-geological information and map showing underlying rock formations and water resource potential (Geoscience Australia)
- National and sub-district level climate and climate change statistics from IPCC4
- Sub-district level maps showing how the climate is predicted to change in terms of annual rain and average temperature (gridded 1km)
- Soil maps indicating pH, risk of Fe & Zn deficiency and soil texture based on the Portuguese O Solos De Timor
- Slope map of the suco with recommendations for agriculture based on slope categories (gridded 30m).
The maps and graphs are at a useful resolution designed to be printed out as PDFs and included in your own reports, research and planning documents. If the information is used in other publications, please include an appropriate reference to Seeds of Life.
Below is an example of a suco information sheet: